Story board artist (experienced)
Award winning VFX and animation company, Jellyfish Pictures has a fantastic opportunity for talented, experienced Storyboard Artists to work on an incredibly exciting, high profile project. Artists applying should have extensive production experience and a strong ability to design & visualise stunning sequences. You will be expected to run with a loose description as well as be able to work to creative direction by others and adapt and update boards whilst scripts are being developed. The project will start in early 2019 for approximately 6 months.
We are looking for Storyboard Artists fluent in visual storytelling and the principles of cinematic camera movement & planning. You will have a strong ability to think in 3D and quickly create drawings to clearly illustrate motion scenes, involving creatures and a variety of environments. You will be able to offer a variety of shot solutions utilizing different camera setups and approaches. A scalable drawing style is advantageous, ranging from quick sketches to more refined and detailed drawings when required.
Our Storyboard artists will work closely with the Director, Creative Director and Concept Artists to develop the plot points and lock down the visual narrative.
Extensive experience with Photoshop and knowledge of other digital paint programs and a good understanding of 3D content creation tools (Maya) would be an advantage (though not essential).
Location - London (either Margaret Street or Brixton)
Salary - negotiable depending on skills and experience
Start date – early 2019
Contract length - 6 months
Please can all applications include a link to a portfolio of work. We will be looking for the following:
- Sequential storyboard sketches showing a variety of content and camera movement
- Both initial planning and finished storyboard drawing examples
- Annotations showing understanding and knowledge of cinematic camera language
- Strong design skills and original idea development
- Very strong traditional illustration skills in a variety of media as well as excellent drawing skills
- A strong ability to think in 3D and draw in perspective
- Great use of colour, light and shadow
- Ability to visualise a strong mood
- Ability to create photorealistic matte style paintings
- Ability to work within specific styles, including a style set by another artist or art director
- Great communication skills, a drive to improve everything and a motivation to make a difference is essential.
- Actively provide creative solutions to budget, schedule or creative challenges
- Work with an awareness of the challenges that may faced by the VFX team when implementing your storyboards and to flag them with the Creative and Production team.
- Right to work in the UK (if you are unsure, please check here).
We are unable to sponsor any visa applications for this role. Due to the volume of applications we expect to receive, we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.
Please only apply for this role, if you have the relevant experience. If you apply and do not meet the relevant requirements, your application will be rejected.
Our careers section offers a range of other roles, which may be more suitable to your talents and creativity. We encourage you to look at them. Should you find that the roles available are not suitable, we have a Speculative application form, which when completed allows us to retain your details and get in touch as soon as the relevant role becomes available!